Thursday, July 25, 2013

Summer Storm

Most people live by a schedule- as for myself I have found that with 4 kids it works best to have one- but sticking to it ( again 4 kids) generally ends in more havoc then its worth at times. During the summer months for our family I always find our family in a state of discombobulated order. We have a bedtime- but it could be 7:30 or 10:30. We have regular meals- like chicken ala’ McDonalds. I will say my one saving grace for my family’s health during the busy summer months is the barbecue. I truly love it. Unfortunately for me I do not have one of those husbands who slaves over a grill during and cooks a steak to perfection

Yea….that would be me..


He is gladly willing and able to eat whatever I make though- such a good sport!

Anyway, this month is particular was probably the busiest one we have had in the 10 years we have been married. We had out of town guest 2 different times, County fair (that I volunteer at), a HUGE community wide garage sale that went on for 4 days ( plus clean up and take down), and now we are gearing up for our 4 kids’ giant birthday bash. I have finally found the floor of my living room and felt a need to disconnect from the mop and vacuum and spread a little summer recipe cheer. For those of you who are currently living my nightmare reality, I have a great tried and true summer pasta salad recipe that is always a crowd pleaser, super easy to make, goes great with any grilled protein or kabob, and can stay in the fridge for days. In our opinion its better the next day after the pasta soaks up the dressing.



Summer Pasta Salad

1 lb. cooked, drained, rinsed and cooled tri-color pasta

1 ½ c. finely diced sharp cheddar cheese

1 large tomato diced

2 green onions sliced

1 cucumber seeded and diced

1 ½ c. ham diced

1c. canola oil

¼ c. apple cider vinegar

¼ c. lemon juice

2 tbsp. ranch dressing mix


Mix together cooled pasta and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar and ranch dressing mix until well blended. Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and toss. Note: if stored overnight the salad will absorb some of the dressing so more can be applied later on.


~ This recipe is one my mom has made every summer for as long as I can remember and is a summer barbeque staple. Thanks Mom! ~



1 comment:

  1. I know! Some things just knock you sideways. Our 2 sons were born on the same date 5 years apart - in January. So each year we celebrate Christmas/New Year then gear up for a double birthday party. Aint life grand...  ◕‿◕

    ReplyDelete